Wednesday, April 10, 2013

To the beat of his own drum

My eldest son is our witty one. My daughter and middle child, our little diva. Don't the middle children have to be? ;)

And then there is Michael Anthony Gallman; who personally requests that everyone address him using his full name. Many know he was a BIG surprise for us. The gift that keeps on giving, I know now he will continue to surprise all those around him with his many humorous antics. He can charm the best of them.

Three Sundays ago I prepared as if going to battle: snacks, coloring books, crayons, toys - anything to keep them preoccupied. With each child this became more of a challenge, leaving me wondering why I try? I haven't heard a sermon in years and neither have the family and friends we sit around. Usually I'm quick enough and have enough reflex to out maneuver any mishap that may arise. However, this particular Sunday both boys were testing waters. As the prayer reached its end and all our attention focused on the eldest (mad over crayons), Tony looks at me and says three words. Three words I've come to dread, "there goes Michael".

I look down to see his feet disappear under the pew, and rows of people popping up out of their seat scrambling to grab speedy. As I run down the aisle following the fingers and standing church members all I can think is how will I ever live this down? No longer aware of what is going on up front, I manage to head him off. Michael spots my feet, pops up laughing like a loon and grinning from ear to ear. Just in time my uncle snatches him from behind. Mortified and a bit in shock I still managed to laugh with everyone else. I'm sure a lot of prayers went up that day for us ;)

God must have a sense of humor to give us the surprise that keeps on surprising. A child like none I've met before. Michael spends his days looking for the next big adventure. The latest adventure -Tonight I turn around to find him bare bottom in the air, head in the child's potty seat studying the inside of the toilet. My initial reaction was yanking him out of the toilet and scolding him. But half way through "do you know how nasty that is...why on earth would you do that" I begin to laugh. And laughing together is what we did (as I cleaned him up of course).

3 comments:

  1. Lol. Thanks. Btw I enjoy your blog. I just don't take the time to comment. I related most to the one about yelling at Kiya.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Too funny. Thanks for the morning laugh. :)

    ReplyDelete